Saturday, June 25, 2011

You know you're fully immersed in a Paleo lifestyle when...

...you question what's in your shampoo.  Then you look up all those chemicals in your shampoo.  Then you wonder why in the world companies put chemicals that harsh in your shampoo.  So you buy shampoo that consists of probably 95% organic, natural oils with only 1 slightly bad chemical in it.  And even that bothers you.

...you feel guilty about wearing eye makeup - have you ever looked up all the junk they put in those tubes?!  Petroleum, really?  As in, if I had a ton of this, I could possibly run my car with it?!

...you feel guilty about wearing any kind of make up, moisturizer, or sunscreen.  Seriously, if I'm not putting crap into my body, why would I want to smear crap onto my body?  Enough said.

...you stop using your Bath and Body Works products because they're just as creepy as your old shampoo.  Sad days...

...you stop buying nasty chemical cleaners and start buying locally made "yuppie" soaps which you have to dilute with water and pour into reusable spray bottles.  And then you have no idea what to do with the chemical cleaners you have left over...ugh.

...you throw out all your plastic wear (it didn't say BPA free on the package), and you purchase Pyrex bowls, etc.  BPA is of the devil, and it's EVERYWHERE!

...you realize that since you've stop putting crap in your body and onto your body, it's probably time to stop bringing unnecessary crap into the house.  So you decide to be more frugal and get rid of things in life that you never use.  You buy things when you need them.  You stop impulse shopping (except for today when I found an awesome shirt at Ross.  Yeaaaah).

**********************************************************

A Paleo diet has not only helped me lose weight, but it's also led me to new ways of thinking.  It's taught me to question the "norm" and seek out, for myself, what I feel is best for my body and my life.  I don't need the media to tell me what works for me.  I don't need big agriculture telling me that my health will suffer if I don't eat their GMO grains.  I don't need the government to tell me what proper nutrition is.  I don't need to buy into all those fad diets.

I need to consume the fuel my body was meant to process - you don't put helium in the gas tank of your car, do you?  I would hope not (I wonder what liquid helium would do in a gas tank/engine...I'm guessing it would just freeze it).  The same goes with your body - processed foods, pesticides and preservatives don't grow on trees.  And they ain't meant to fuel your body (definitely wouldn't try liquid helium here - just sayin').

I'm starting to feel like the same concept can be applied to the outside of my body as well as my environment.  You're not only what you eat.  You're how you act and interact with your world.  I choose to be as naturally me as possible, inside and out.  One step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment