Monday, June 6, 2011

Paleo eating while...traveling. Good times...

I don't know how many of you are seasoned Paleo enthusiasts, but I'm a mere 6 months into this commitment, and I haven't yet had the extreme joy of having to figure out how the heck I'm gonna eat while flying 9 hours across the country.  No more stopping at airport restaurants!

Needless to say, the very idea of having to meal plan for a trip to TN sent my head spinning and my eyes bonking out of my head like a Tom and Jerry cartoon.

Then I took a breath, remembered that the Paleo blogging community is swimming with oodles of ideas, and started searching.  That's when I came across this idea:

http://www.primal-palate.com/2011/01/beef-jerky.html

It's so simple, so perfect for a long plane ride.  I was a bit intimidated when I saw that it called for Coconut Aminos, but our local health food store, PCC, came to the rescue.  And, the best part of all??  It's not a liquid food, so I don't have to worry about TSA examining it and deeming it unfit or more than 3 oz or whatever.  Hurray!

Another thought, which looking back, I can't help but wonder why it didn't immediately come to mind... 

TRAIL MIX!

Here's my plan:

1/2 cup organic raisins
3/4 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 cup walnuts
3/4 cup dried apples
1/2 cup dried banana chips
1/2 cup dried strawberries

We have a food dehydrator, so whatever else I can think of tossing in it will probably also end up in our trail mix.  (By the way, I totally just made up the numbers on the fly - you can put in whatever you want however you want, but I think this will be a good ratio of nuts to fruits to coconut.)

I also plan on bringing some Larabars - they're fantastic.  The only draw back is, they're loaded with sugar, and while it's natural sugar from the dates and fruits they use in the bars, it's still a bit much.  Especially when you're strapped to a plane seat for 4 hours at a time and your only exercise is climbing over people and seats to get to the bathroom.

I could kinda use a veggie to round out Friday's day of snacking, so I'm thinking I might bake some kale chips.  Surely between the jerky, trail mix and kale chips, we'll have enough chow to get us through until we get to my mother's house at 11pm Friday night. 

What snacks do you take with you on trips?  Anyone have any Paleo traveling tips you'd like to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment