Thursday, March 24, 2011

Back to the forbidden, per the Doc's orders

So, we visited Josh's naturopath yesterday - yes, an ND.  Now you might be thinking that we are seriously starting to drown in the pool of yuppy crap.  You might be thinking that next, we'll start wearing yuppy clothes, get yuppy haircuts, bathe ourselves in patchouli, go live in a yuppy commune and grow yuppy herbs to heal all our woes.

We're considering it.

Anyways, this ND was not at all what I expected.  I was a bit snarky myself, assuming that she would have us chant some stuff, pray to the nature gods, center our Chi and send us home with $200 in supplements.  Call me Princess Cynicism.  However, when we walked into her office and sat down, I was blown away by what she did and said.  It...all made sense.  She created a plan for Josh to follow to get him healthier - suffice it to say that he's got some imbalances right now that are really making him miserable.  And no, it wasn't a plan filled with silly, expensive herbs, etc.  It was a plan filled with careful thought and consideration for the individual and (gasp!) science.

I was blown away - never have I encountered such a genuinely concerned medical professional!  She listened to every thought and concern Josh had; we talked for an hour straight.  What doctor sits down and talks to you, I mean, really talks to you like you're a person?

At any rate, we found out that Josh's fabulous, massive weight loss in the last month has not been so fabulous after all.  He's lost way more than he should, so the doctor prescribed...brown rice.  No joke, I thought Josh was gonna lose it.  He really didn't want to start eating it again, but she insisted it would help plateau the weight loss.

<3  I had spaghetti last night, and even with a sub par spaghetti sauce, I was in happy.  Absolute happy.  (Yes, you can be in happy.)  Spaghetti one of my favorite comfort foods, and I haven't had any version of it in...3 or 4 months?  I can't even remember how long it's been!

I also stopped by the store and got some brown rice flour, so I plan on experimenting with bread recipes this weekend - another thing I've never been able to try on Paleo (I don't count my favorite zucchini bread because it's seriously more of a cake than a bread).

Do you have any gluten/soy free bread recipes to share?  I'd love to have some!  I might post some this weekend when I have a chance to troll the Internet and search out the gems.

Until then, enjoy this awesome picture I took today - man, I love the sun.  Wish I could inject it's warmth and happy right into me!


1 comment:

  1. It's great to hear that you and Josh are doing so well on thias change in eating style. Even with it's ups and downs I hope that iot continues to do well for you and him both.

    Michael D

    ReplyDelete